Working and Living with Disabilities (WLD) is committed to removing barriers and attracting, engaging and retaining talent living with disabilities. Individuals who have language barriers, communications and physical challenges have no boundaries.
WLD is open to people of all genders, ethnicities, cultures and religions. WLD helps Lilly employees better understand the needs of individuals who are unique which helps create a better understanding of our patients’ needs.
WLD works with Lilly and the community at large in pursuit of the following aims:
- Promote awareness at Lilly to achieve a better understanding of the capabilities and talents of individuals who may have "language barriers, and communications and physically challenges"
- Provide opportunities at Lilly to better understand the inordinate challenges that such individuals have overcome and how that level of perseverance applies to their abilities at Lilly
- Discuss and openly communicate issues and concerns that may impact WLD and members’ successes
- Develop solutions for improving communications among our members and all at Lilly
- Collaborate with internal and external groups sharing similar objectives to meet additional needs within Lilly and within the community
"My Lilly colleagues and leadership provided me with the support and encouragement I needed, to help my family get through the difficult first year after our son was born with significant disabilities. For this we are very grateful."
Katherine Sugarman, M.D.
Senior Director, Global Regulatory-Oncology
"A disability adds a completely different dimension to your life. We are very fortunate to work for a company that has a long held value of respect for people and is committed to providing individuals with the support they need to be able to achieve a work life balance."
"A large potential population of employees who struggle to bring their whole selves to work are those with disabilities or who support someone with a disability. The Working & Living with Disabilities employee resource group is committed to help."
Vice President, Human Resources and WLD Executive Sponsor
"I have an invisible disability. I live with chronic widespread pain and excessive daytime sleepiness caused by autoimmune conditions. I am a patient who is very grateful for Lilly and other pharmaceutical companies. Without my medication, it would be nearly impossible for me to work or to be the wife and mother I want to be."
WLD Communications Chair