Situated on the picturesque banks of the White River, Indianapolis is the 13th largest city in the United States. Indianapolis (also known as "Indy" and "The Circle City") offers a vast array of arts, attractions, historical sites, and eclectic cultural districts located in and around downtown.
In contrast to many shrinking cities in the Midwest, Indianapolis is attracting people, with its population growing 50 percent faster than the national average. And the city is also showing impressive gains in industries such as life sciences and technology.
Indianapolis is adding international residents at a faster pace than Chicago. Indy is now home to growing Mexican, Chinese, Sikh, Burmese and Nigerian communities.
Indy's reputation as the sports capital is well deserved. Lucas Oil Stadium was the proud host of the NFL's Super Bowl XLVI in 2012. Indianapolis is the home of the 2007 Super Bowl champion Indianapolis Colts, the Indiana Pacers, the Indiana Fever, and the AAA baseball team, the Indianapolis Indians. Indy also features the NCAA Headquarters and the historic and world- renowned Indianapolis Motor Speedway, which hosts the Indianapolis 500, the Brickyard 400 and the Red Bull Indianapolis Grand Prix.
The Circle City isn't just about sports -- the Children's Museum of Indianapolis is the world's largest. Other popular amenities include the Canal Walk, the Indianapolis Zoo, the Soldiers and Sailors Monument, the White River State Park (the only urban state park in Indiana), and the many other attractions in this great city.
In fact, Indianapolis was named the #1 convention city in a USA Today Readers’ Choice poll, and the New York Times named Indianapolis one of the top 52 places in the world to visit in 2014.
Indianapolis is a very livable city with its:
- wide open green spaces and bustling downtown;
- modern malls and historically rich architecture;
- hundreds of downtown restaurants and bars; and
- unique, family-friendly, diverse neighborhoods.
Indianapolis offers something for everyone.
Ultimately, that's what makes Indianapolis our city of choice. Explore Indianapolis. See how we're Raising the game™
- "The City of Indianapolis has evolved into a growth dynamo, setting standards of excellence for urban renewal and economic development" – Nation's Cities Weekly
- According to Beth D'Addono, The Philadelphia Inquirer, "it soon became clear that there was much more to this capital city than auto racing and college and pro sports… A concerted effort to reclaim green space, expand the convention center, and centralize cultural institutions has produced a solid array of attractions."…
- "No matter how many times I come to Indianapolis, the city never fails to deliver a memorable experience." Jim Nantz, CBS Sports
Be connected. Be inspired. Be a catalyst.